Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Homemade Island


I made this island for my kitchen awhile ago. It started as an old console table that I got at a yard sale for I think $10. I (err, I guess I should give hubby some credit) started out by cutting either side of the top so it wasn't so long, my kitchen is small so you might not need to do that. Then I got a piece of plywood at Home Depot and it was already cut that size, I also bought 4 bun feet there. I screwed the bun feet into the plywood then screwed the table onto the plywood with the bun feet. I painted the whole things red and distressed it by sanding some of the edges (my cat has since distressed it more by using it as her scratching post). I bought a piece of butcher block countertop from Ikea and screwed that onto the cut down table top and added a bathroom towel bar on the side. Walla, you have a "new" kitchen island.


Head over to Sanctuary Arts at Home for more trash to treasure ideas.

14 comments:

  1. I love this! Great job and those bun feet are really cute!!

    I have a cat and three dogs that like to help out with the distressing too LOL

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The feet are really cute and it is such a great color! Thanks for joining in on the party!!! :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your island! the color choice is great, red is one of my favorite colors. I really like the towel holder on the side, it looks great and must be very convientent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that cutting board would really be handy in my kitchen. Plus the extra storage. I always need storage!

    Good job!

    The Texas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great make-over! Love this island! Awesome job! :) Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so handy and the color is beautiful. Very Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I adore red, so I think it would look quite nice in MY kitchen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great island. I shared an island I had made too. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did a great job! I love the way it turned out... Sadly, my kitchen is too small for even a tiny island...Otherwise I would so be copying this idea!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever and cute Love the red.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I wouldn't have thought of doing this, but it looks great.

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete