Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Two Girls, One Party

I had a birthday party for my girls last Saturday. I didn't go with a theme this time, just lots of pink.

Favors: I wanted to do something different for party favors so I made these Kool Aid playdough kits. The Kool Aid playdough idea I got off the Split Coast Stampers website and the package idea came from this post on Stamp A Sweet Impression. http://stampasweetimpression.blogspot.com/2008/10/taylor-tuesday.html. The little girl stamp I used is by Amuse (my favorite brand).






Entertainment: My mom did face painting on the kids. My 3 year old wanted everyone to color, so I got little packages of crayons and I printed off some clip art for everyone to color. We also made homemade vanilla ice cream. We got this ice cream maker a couple years ago and haven't used it. I thought it would be fun for all the kids to pass it around to shake it up. It was super yummy too.




Cake: I made my 3 year old a barbie princess cake. My dad took all the pictures of the party and I haven't got them from him yet so I can't show you pics of my disaster of a cake. I was really excited with the barbie I found. It already had a painted on bathing suit type thing so I didn't have to worry about trying to decorate her with frosting, which was my biggest worry, or so I thought....

So I made the cake mix and poured it into my Pampered Chef batter bowl to cook it and it only filled half the bowl. I made hubby run to the grocery store to buy another cake mix to fill the rest of the bowl. When he came back and I finally put the cake in the oven, I started panicking because it takes an hour to cook and 3 hours to cool and I only had 2 hours before the guests arrived! After an hour of cooking I thought it should be done, I opened the oven and realized why the recipe said to use one cake mix. For some reason I completely forgot that cakes rise!!! So I had no idea how much longer the cake was going to take to cook. I kept checking every 20 min and at some point the knife inserted in the center came out clean! I let the cake cool while we did other party activities and came back to decorate it soon before it was time to blow out the candles. Decorating it was a disaster too. I couldn't find my food coloring. My plan was to tint the frosting the same color as barbie outfit and then use my new Pampered Chef decorating tool to make cute flowers and swirls on her dress. Well, I had to go with plan b instead. Frost it with plain white frosting and throw on some sprinkles. Everyone was still impressed and said it tasted really good.
My favorite cake is what I call strawberry jello cake. My family has been making it forever and no one knows where it came from. I made a cupcake version for my 1 year old. Now you all can make it too. My cousin found the recipe on the Jello website. Here's the link for "Gelatin Poke Cake" http://brands.kraftfoods.com/jello/recipe.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&wf=9&recipe_id=53184 Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment